What is Web Traffic exactly?
Have you ever wondered what is web traffic exactly? Well, basically it is the amount or volume of traffic or visitors you send and ultimately received at your web site.
This is, most probably, the principal element of Internet traffic and is recognized by the number of people visiting your site and the number of pages they view whilst they remain and peruse your web site content.
Web traffic can easily be investigated by analysing your traffic statistics (which can be found in the log file on your web server), your log file is an automatically-created list displaying all the pages viewed.
Pages themselves are considered as files, however images are also considered as files, so a page with 4 images could produce 5 hits (consisting of the page itself and the 4 images).
Page views are generated when a visitor accesses (visits) any of the pages within your web site – any visitors you receive at your website (Whether they’re there intentionally or by accident, whether they stay for a few seconds or several hours) they will be registered (in the log file on your web server) hence, the visit will always generate at least one page view (usually the main page) but, your visitors could, with good quality content and inviting navigation, generate many more page views.
When monitoring web traffic the following information types are often collated:
Visitor number: the total number of visitors to your site
Visitor duration: how long do your visitor stayed on your website as a whole
Average page duration: how long they stayed and viewed a particular page
The most popular page or pages: which page or pages do you visitors appear to like
Page number average: the average number of pages each visitor decides to view
Most requested entry page: which pages are most attracting you visitors? Your entry page is the first page your visitor view.
Most requested exit page: could help you identify poor pages, or that page mat have an interesting external link taking people away from your site
Top paths: a path is the sequence in which a visitor navigates and views the pages on your site from entry to exit, basically, the way most visitors go through the site
Referrers: determining which sites are producing the most traffic to a particular page tracking the (perceived) source of that link.
As you can see it’s very important to know what exactly web traffic is and to monitor your incoming and outgoing web traffic allowing you to quickly identify trends e.g. which pages or parts of your site are popular and if you identify if there are any apparent trends, for instance you notice one particular page is being viewed predominantly by people in a particular area, city or country you can think about adapting your site to cater for that visitor.
Your now aware there are many and varied ways you can utilise in monitoring your web traffic you can use the gathered data to help structure or re- structure your sites, it can also draw attention to security problems or point towards a possible lack of bandwidth.
Remember, not all web traffic is welcome, knowing what exactly is web traffic will help you have total control over your website. Learn better why website traffic is important.
How to create web traffic
When you are starting out online for the very first time one of the most important skills you may need to learn is – how to get web traffic free. This is especially true if you are starting out on a very limited budget.
By learning and developing this skill you can create and grow an online business without ever having to pay for traffic.
For many already established brick and mortar businesses that already have an advertising budget and who want to start getting traffic quickly, they can pay for traffic and start getting traffic to their website right away.
If however this is not the case for you and you are have the patience and are willing to invest a little bit of your time each day then you can quickly and easily learn how to get web traffic free. Or if you just want to try it out or test the waters without investing any money, then you certainly can and I will explain how.
One way to start is by signing up for a free WordPress or blogger blog and there are many others to choose from but these two tend to be very popular and can help you to start getting free visitors to your blog.
First of all you will need to choose a topic that you will want to write about on your blog or website. Then you will need to start writing unique, informative, helpful or entertaining content that your readers will want to read.
After that you can follow these 3 steps to help you start growing your readership.
How To Get Web Traffic Free – Step 1
Learn how to do search engine optimization for your website so that it will rank well in the search engines. Set aside a certain time period each day, maybe an hour or two to practice some of the new seo techniques that you are learning. Over time you will find that you are getting better results with some more so than others.
How To Get Web Traffic Free – Step 2
Create a article marketing campaign where you write and submit articles on a daily basis for at least 7-10 days, however the longer you continue this the better your results will be over time.
This will allow you to establish yourself as a credible source on your subject matter. You will also be building backlinks to your site which will help with your search engine (SEO) rankings.
Continuously look for and find new ways to tell other people about (promote) your site. This can be done through social media networking and face to face conversations with friends, co-workers and other people that you do business with.
How to get web traffic fast?
For many creating web traffic is some sort of a mystery few selected ones know about. Matter of fact is that is easy when you understand the fundamentals of traffic building. In this article I will tell you the top ways you can bring traffic to your site right now.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – SEO is a long-term plan, but it really pays dividends. Why? Imagine getting hundreds and hundreds and sometimes thousands of Free leads everyday. Well, that equals almost Free money. To win the SEO game you need to choose the right keywords from the start, low competition with high searches keyword phrases.
- Article Marketing – Article marketing and SEO go hand in hand, why? Because basically you are using other people’s resources and credibility (like EzineArticles.com) to give you an edge on the search engines and attracting new visitors. You see, if you make a couple of searches on Google you will see EzineArticles.com articles on many search queries, this is because Google loves EzineArticles, they trust they have high quality relevant content for their users.
You also win this game by proper optimization and picking the right keywords from the start.
- Forum Traffic – This type of traffic is really overlook, however if you post on the right forum and leave a signature file with a backlink to your site, in some cases you can bring hundreds of visitors to your site per day.
- Video Marketing – Many people just think that YouTube and Metacafe and all those video sites are just to watch funny videos. Fact is, it can also be a powerful weapon at your arsenal. You go for low competition keywords as same as SEO.
- The Special Report Traffic – You can create a report of PDF of your niche and then spread it all around the internet. For example if you are on the weight loss niche you can create a report on “The 37 Ways to Lose Weight Secret Report”, for example, you then distribute it on sites you upload ebooks, on forums, etc. You need to create a link to your site from the free report so they can visit your site.
- Torrent Traffic – As you can see, you need to think in an unconventional way. You can use your same report and create a torrent of it for proper keywords and let them download it.
As I told you from the start, you need the right keywords for bringing you all that traffic. Why? Because if you select the wrong keywords you will be competing with thousands of other websites for search engine rankings, video rankings, etc… and then you will think this stuff don’t work.
Let me tell you something, professional internet marketers pick the right battles from the start. They pick keyword phrases with low competition and high volume of searches. That is the “secret” to online success.
You see, if you can gather all these keywords manually, however you will waste hours and hours to find the right keywords to optimize for to easily dominate the search engines.
That is the reason search engine optimization software exists, because not only it makes your work giving you the keyword phrases that are most likely to be profitable, it also gives you the ones that are most easily to optimize to dominate the search engines. This is because it analyzes the competition for you. This is extremely important when selecting keyword phrases to rank for.